Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Botanical Drawing II - developing your skills - second class

The second class was all about values, perspective and light source.  We are exploring the ways values are relative to the values of the area that surround it.  It's a real trick of the eye.    Gray surrounded by black looks lighter than gray surrounded by white.  

In class we were given a photocopy page of a close up of a horse chestnut.  We cut out a 2 x 3 piece that we liked and then drew it using HB and then 2H pencils.  The idea was to use the photocopy as a starting point and then make it up as we went along.  I turned the image upside down for my second drawing so I wouldn't get distracted by the original.  The point was to use different values to indicate depth.  Not sure these are done but since there is a major assignment yet to do I am stopping for now.  Next is to draw a sphere with full tonal values.  That will take forever to get right.





Here is the set up for the sphere assignment.  I did not reference the sphere a lot.  Instead I referred to handouts showing the basics of highlights, reflected light, dark core etc.  This is obviously not Rembrandt lighting.  I moved the lamp for this shot. 



Ok, three 2" spheres.  From left to right:  2H, HB, 2B.  2B still needs work.  This was kind of hard to do.  I am not totally unhappy since it's a first time trying this.  Still I see flaws.  I will play with the last one some more to make the transitions more gradual. 

I think my photos are looking a little better.  I bought a color corrected LED Ott lamp.  

No comments:

Post a Comment